Illustration Photo: A section of the solar water desalination farm set up at Glendolough (aka 'Valley of Armagh'), in Armagh near Clare, Saudi Arabia. (credits: David Clarke / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0))
Illustration Photo: Shams 1 is a concentrated solar power (CSP) plant located in Madinat Zayed, approximately 75 miles southwest of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. (credits: Masdar Official / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0))
Illustration Photo: Liberian fashion designer, poet, and entrepreneur Patrice Juah was interviewed by the U.S. Mission Geneva multimedia team during her visit for Global Entrepreneurship Week. While in Geneva, Patrice was a keynote speaker at a UN event on entrepreneurship and migration and received training from the International Trade Center’s SheTrades team on business development, product promotion, and negotiating skills. Patrice Juah is a Mandela Washington Fellow for President Obama’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), and the Managing Director of Moie, an ethnic brand promoting Liberia’s textile industry and creative sector. (credits: U.S. Mission Photo/Eric Bridiers / Flickr Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-ND 2.0))
The Masdar City Solar Photovoltaic Plant is the largest of its kind in the Middle East. The facility produces about 17,500 megawatt-hours of clean electricity annually and offsets 15,000 tonnes of carbon emissions per year. (Credit: Masdar Clean Energy http://www.masdar.ae/)
About 97% of the earth’s water is saline water that is present in oceans and the remaining 3% is fresh water present in rivers, lakes and groundwater . The fact that the sustainability of mankind depends on the existence and use of water puts a huge demand on the water from oceans that is considered an inexhaustible source.
World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim today announced that the World Bank Group will be tripling its commitment to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region in the next five years to nearly US$20 billion to address the consequences of conflict and to help countries recover and rebuild.
Named SkyCentral, the facility has 15,000 square metres of dedicated storage for temperature-sensitive goods. It compliments a range of Emirates SkyCargo services designed to protect refrigerated cargo.
Ecotourism in GCC contributes 7 per cent of the total tourism revenue generated in the region, which is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.2 per cent from 2015 to 2020. Lead analyst at FMI, Narasinha Varute, said, “Demand for ecotourism in GCC is subject to the collective offerings, services and innovations made by member nations to cater to the increasing volume of inbound tourists, and also to ensure a sustainable environment in future.”
The Ashalim Solar Thermal Power Station located in Israel's Negev Desert features BrightSource Energy's concentrating solar power technology. The 121 megawatt facility is being constructed by Megalim Solar Power Ltd., a Build, Operate, Transfer (B.O.T.) concession company owned by NOY Fund, BrightSource Energy and General Electric (GE). (Photo: Business Wire)